Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Decemberists "January Hymn" Video

I had to go one step further and make the video of the Decemberists' song. This band has very vivid, poetic, and intellectual lyrics in their songs that take the listener on a journey. Whenever a song is copied by someone (me in this instance) it is almost always degraded from its original by any number of degrees. I know that I have, in no possible way added to the beauty of this song, but it is like reciting poetry - it begs to be done. And, so...

9 comments:

Aaron said...

what are the chords you're playing here???

K. Leonard said...

Hi Aaron,

The chords are lower than the original song. I'm playing C - G7 - F with an Am during the chorus. I thought the lower range helped the ukulele not get to plinky sounding.

--Kyle

Aaron said...

thanks a lot kyle!

Jamus said...

This is incredible. I love the Decemberists and I just recently picked up ukulele, and I've been looking fr tabs to this song. Thank you so much.

K. Leonard said...

Hi Jamus,
I really simplified the chording on this song, but if you like to sing it really adds just enough of the original sound to keep the melody flowing. I wish you great success with your uke playing.

Happy New Year,
Kyle

Jamus said...

I plan to play and sing once I get the song down. Which chords are you playing for the intro?

K. Leonard said...

I think I'm start with C - on a winters F- Sunday I C- go to F- clear Am- the snow... Quite often I'm rolling off the F into the Am because it sounds nice.

I would see how you like the Am thrown in there...

Kyle

K. Leonard said...

At the very start I'm going C-F-G7

-K

Jamus said...

Awesome, that's what I thought. Thanks again, This really means a lot to me.

Post a Comment

Hi from Kyle :)